|10.14.14 at 1:29 pm ET|
Here are the highlights from Tuesday’s Three for All on Middays with MFB with Lou Merloni, Christian Fauria and Tim Benz. To hear the segment, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
– Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was arrested Monday for stealing underwear and cologne from a Dillard’s department store at a suburban Dallas mall. He was charged with Class B misdemeanor theft and released early Tuesday on bond.
“Dillard’s has got some pretty good stuff,” Fauria noted.
“What is this guy doing?” Merloni asked. “You play in the NFL. You go to Dillard’s. What is it, just for the rush? Just to see if you can get away with it?”
Said Benz: “That’s a weird combination, too, the underwear and cologne. Was he expecting a big night and he just didn’t have his wallet, and he couldn’t go out with whoever it was without the underwear and cologne?”
– Esquire magazine named 40-year-old Penelope Cruz the Sexiest Woman Alive in its current issue.
“Now, I’m a fan,” Benz said. “Definitely in the top echelon, top tier. Maybe even a second-liner. But first-line power play? MVP? Penelope Cruz? Really?”
Explained Fauria: “If somebody is sexy, if they have a lot of sex appeal, it doesn’t necessarily mean looks. It’s how they carry themselves. Maybe it’s how they dress, maybe they’re funny. Because there’s a lot of ugly, goofy-looking guys that have hot women. It has nothing to do with their looks, because their sex appeal is their charm. . . . The fact is they’re not basing this on looks. Because if they’re basing it on looks, I could walk down the street, I could go right now, walk out of this radio station and I could find 10 in New York City that are twice as hot as Penelope Cruz.”
– A new “Ghostbusters” movie, currently being written, will feature female leads.
“How weird is this that ‘Gostbusters,’ our movie from our youth, from our childhood, is going to be all women?” said Fauria, who expressed concern that he won’t like the new version.
Said Benz: “It all depends on the cast. You find the cast list, get back to us, and then we’ll do a thumbs up/thumbs down.”
|10.14.14 at 8:40 am ET|
– Esquire magazine named actress Penelope Cruz its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2014.
This did not sit well with the hosts.
“Oh, my God. I would cancel my subscription if I had one,” Dennis said, agreeing with Minihane that she has a “bird face.”
Said Minihane: “If Anne Hathaway or Penelope Cruz worked here, she would not be the most attractive woman at this place. … Penelope Cruz is a Hollywood 7.”
– Accused murderer Aaron Hernandez apparently has been allowed to watch Patriots games on television at the Nashua Street Jail because he has been a model citizen, according to a report in the Boston Herald.
Hernandez had been confined to his cell at the Bristol House of Correction for 21 hours per day, but the former Patriots tight end was moved three months ago to Nashua and now is in general population, Suffolk Sheriff Steven Tompkins told the Herald.
“This bothers me more than Ebola right now,” Callahan said, adding: “He gets to sleep late, work out, watch football. Is that a vacation or is that prison?”
Suggested Dennis: “They should be made to listen to it on the radio.”
– A group of Roman Catholic bishops convened by Pope Francis suggested Monday that the church soften its stance on homosexuality and divorce.
“Even the gays have something to offer the Pope,” Dennis said.
“What about the guys who threw condoms at the bishop in New York outside of church. Do they have something to offer?” Callahan asked.
Replied Minihane: “If I’m a homosexual and I grew up in the Catholic church, I’d be awfully angry at them, too, wouldn’t you be, if you’re a practicing Catholic? … They’ve turned their back on you. They’ve said it’s a sin for years and years and years.”
|10.13.14 at 9:34 am ET|
– Massachusetts and the Boston area had its first scare with Ebola this weekend. A man who had visited Liberia went to a Braintree medical center, saying he had muscle aches and a headache — symptoms of the virus.
Though the facility took precautions, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center officials said the man most likely doesn’t have the virus.
“Didn’t it make your heart skip a beat?” Callahan said. “Dallas is OK, there’s lots of space between Dallas and here.”
Part of the reason for Braintree’s precaution is because a Dallas nurse contracted the virus when she was helping treat the man who brought the disease into the country. In that case, officials said the Texas hospital was unprepared.
Said Callahan: “It’s so mean-spirited, to stop guys from coming in from Liberia, but wouldn’t that make all of the sense in the world?”
Replied Dennis: “Gerry, they’re giving them EBT cards, which stands for ‘Ebola big time.’ ”
“It’s concerning, I’m a little concerned about this,” Minihane said. “I’m not usually one of these people who jump in hysterics, but is this going to be massive three years from now, or is going to be something we just laugh about like Swine Flu?”
– A girl from Mobile, Alabama, was forced to sign a contract with her school saying she would not commit suicide or homicide. The contract stemmed from when the girl drew a picture of a gun and then pointed a crayon at a fellow student.
The girl’s mother said the school made her daughter take a survey on suicide. The girl did not even know what the word “suicide” meant.
“I don’t think 5-year-olds grasp the concept of suicide,” Callahan said.
“No, but they all have guns in Alabama,” replied Dennis.
Said Callahan: “That kid doesn’t have a gun.”
– This weekend’s “Saturday Night Live,” hosted by one of show’s former cast members, Bill Hader, hit a ratings low. Despite appearances by other former cast members including Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg, “SNL” had a 1.8 rating in households with adults aged 18-49 — the lowest-rated episode during its run.
“I’m starting to wonder, it’s kind of like Brady, when does it end for ‘Saturday Night Live?’ ” said Minihane.
Replied Callahan: “To me, it’s like college football. College football needs some personalities, some stars. … With SNL, they need one or two stars that carry the program.”
|10.10.14 at 8:37 am ET|
– The nominees for the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class were announced Thursday. Among the list were Green Day, rap group N.W.A., Nine Inch Nails and Sting as a solo act. To be nominated, the artists must have released their first album or song in 1989 or earlier.
The hosts argued that acts like Sting, who already are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with a band, shouldn’t be nominated again as a solo act.
Said Minihane of Sting: “He’s already in with The Police. Eric Clapton is in three different ways. At some point, don’t you just say if you’re in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you’re in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?”
Although Minihane said he’s a fan of Sting, Callahan said he felt otherwise.
“You can’t be great and have one of the five worst songs ever,” Callahan said.
Said Minihane: “I appreciate a good try and a whiff — if you have great songs.”
– A transsexual former inmate at Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada reportedly had oral sex with O.J. Simpson in 2013. Jazmena Jameson, a prostitute, said the two had a flirtatious relationship before the one-time event.
What Simpson did not know, Jameson said, was that she was HIV positive and could’ve given the 67-year-old Simpson the virus, though the chance he was infected is small.
“So this happened in prison?” Dennis asked.
“In prison. These things happen in prison,” replied Minihane.
Said Callahan: “She was definitely a guy when she was in prison. … She might’ve had the surgery [to become a woman] since she got out. She’s not that bad looking. She’s probably better looking than any other bunkmate of O.J.’s in the prison.”
– Comedian and former “Saturday Night Live” star Jan Hooks died in New York on Thursday at 67 years old. She worked alongside a talented cast on “SNL” that included Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley.
“I agree that the cast [Hooks] was in was the best,” Callahan said. “I love how Chris Farley is like an afterthought.”
“Those casts were unbelievable,” replied Minihane.
|10.09.14 at 4:23 pm ET|
Who would you like to see host with John and Gerry on Friday?
- Sporty McKenzie (52%, 469 Votes)
- Kirk Minihane (48%, 428 Votes)
Total Voters: 897
- Aaron Eriskin on Sizing up the competition
- Tim on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- gibby on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Kevin Miller on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Captain on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Har in Vancouver on DJ Steve Porter ‘Can’t Wait’
- SeamusNH on Happy couple caught in the act
- Lollipop on The Lovely Donna Simpson…Smokin!
- RICK ALLEN on The Red Sox new theme song!
- MARJE on Susanne Eman — Wants to be worlds fattest woman