|10.15.14 at 9:04 am ET|
– A 34-year-old homeless man was arrested Tuesday night after he stabbed two park rangers on the Boston Common. Bodio Hutchinson ran from the scene and told cops chasing him to shoot him. Instead, the cops tackled the suspect to the ground and took him to jail. The officers he stabbed were listed in stable condition.
Said Dennis: “All right, three options here: deranged, suicide by cop or he wanted to become a martyr and be the next famous guy who gets shot by a cop without a gun in his hand — demented.”
“Park rangers have guns?” asked a surprised Callahan.
“It’s just in case Yogi and Boo-Boo go nuts,” replied Dennis.
Said Callahan: “I don’t think they have guns. Why would you let a guy stab you multiple times?”
– An animal activist gave an impassioned speech at a San Francisco restaurant in late September, urging diners not to eat meat. Kelly Atlas described how she saved an abused “little girl,” which was in fact her pet chicken named Snow. Atlas doesn’t like how chickens are treated and eventually killed by the food industry.
“She’s more deranged than the guy at the Common,” Dennis exclaimed.
Said Minihane: “You know what’s the greatest thing in the world? Biting into a Chick-fil-A grilled chicken sandwich.”
Replied Dennis: “If I’m going to protest the corporal punishment of chickens, I’m not going to a brasserie. Aren’t you going to Chick-fil-A?”
– Five teenagers from Ohio will face criminal charges after they tricked an autistic boy into doing a fake ALS ice bucket challenge. Instead of dumping ice water on the 15-year-old, the teenagers poured a bucket filled with feces, cigarette butts and urine.
“I hope they do time,” Callahan said. “I don’t want them to just get a little fine, a little community service.”
|10.15.14 at 6:44 am ET|
|10.14.14 at 1:29 pm ET|
Here are the highlights from Tuesday’s Three for All on Middays with MFB with Lou Merloni, Christian Fauria and Tim Benz. To hear the segment, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
– Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was arrested Monday for stealing underwear and cologne from a Dillard’s department store at a suburban Dallas mall. He was charged with Class B misdemeanor theft and released early Tuesday on bond.
“Dillard’s has got some pretty good stuff,” Fauria noted.
“What is this guy doing?” Merloni asked. “You play in the NFL. You go to Dillard’s. What is it, just for the rush? Just to see if you can get away with it?”
Said Benz: “That’s a weird combination, too, the underwear and cologne. Was he expecting a big night and he just didn’t have his wallet, and he couldn’t go out with whoever it was without the underwear and cologne?”
– Esquire magazine named 40-year-old Penelope Cruz the Sexiest Woman Alive in its current issue.
“Now, I’m a fan,” Benz said. “Definitely in the top echelon, top tier. Maybe even a second-liner. But first-line power play? MVP? Penelope Cruz? Really?”
Explained Fauria: “If somebody is sexy, if they have a lot of sex appeal, it doesn’t necessarily mean looks. It’s how they carry themselves. Maybe it’s how they dress, maybe they’re funny. Because there’s a lot of ugly, goofy-looking guys that have hot women. It has nothing to do with their looks, because their sex appeal is their charm. . . . The fact is they’re not basing this on looks. Because if they’re basing it on looks, I could walk down the street, I could go right now, walk out of this radio station and I could find 10 in New York City that are twice as hot as Penelope Cruz.”
– A new “Ghostbusters” movie, currently being written, will feature female leads.
“How weird is this that ‘Gostbusters,’ our movie from our youth, from our childhood, is going to be all women?” said Fauria, who expressed concern that he won’t like the new version.
Said Benz: “It all depends on the cast. You find the cast list, get back to us, and then we’ll do a thumbs up/thumbs down.”
|10.14.14 at 8:40 am ET|
– Esquire magazine named actress Penelope Cruz its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2014.
This did not sit well with the hosts.
“Oh, my God. I would cancel my subscription if I had one,” Dennis said, agreeing with Minihane that she has a “bird face.”
Said Minihane: “If Anne Hathaway or Penelope Cruz worked here, she would not be the most attractive woman at this place. … Penelope Cruz is a Hollywood 7.”
– Accused murderer Aaron Hernandez apparently has been allowed to watch Patriots games on television at the Nashua Street Jail because he has been a model citizen, according to a report in the Boston Herald.
Hernandez had been confined to his cell at the Bristol House of Correction for 21 hours per day, but the former Patriots tight end was moved three months ago to Nashua and now is in general population, Suffolk Sheriff Steven Tompkins told the Herald.
“This bothers me more than Ebola right now,” Callahan said, adding: “He gets to sleep late, work out, watch football. Is that a vacation or is that prison?”
Suggested Dennis: “They should be made to listen to it on the radio.”
– A group of Roman Catholic bishops convened by Pope Francis suggested Monday that the church soften its stance on homosexuality and divorce.
“Even the gays have something to offer the Pope,” Dennis said.
“What about the guys who threw condoms at the bishop in New York outside of church. Do they have something to offer?” Callahan asked.
Replied Minihane: “If I’m a homosexual and I grew up in the Catholic church, I’d be awfully angry at them, too, wouldn’t you be, if you’re a practicing Catholic? … They’ve turned their back on you. They’ve said it’s a sin for years and years and years.”
|10.13.14 at 9:34 am ET|
– Massachusetts and the Boston area had its first scare with Ebola this weekend. A man who had visited Liberia went to a Braintree medical center, saying he had muscle aches and a headache — symptoms of the virus.
Though the facility took precautions, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center officials said the man most likely doesn’t have the virus.
“Didn’t it make your heart skip a beat?” Callahan said. “Dallas is OK, there’s lots of space between Dallas and here.”
Part of the reason for Braintree’s precaution is because a Dallas nurse contracted the virus when she was helping treat the man who brought the disease into the country. In that case, officials said the Texas hospital was unprepared.
Said Callahan: “It’s so mean-spirited, to stop guys from coming in from Liberia, but wouldn’t that make all of the sense in the world?”
Replied Dennis: “Gerry, they’re giving them EBT cards, which stands for ‘Ebola big time.’ ”
“It’s concerning, I’m a little concerned about this,” Minihane said. “I’m not usually one of these people who jump in hysterics, but is this going to be massive three years from now, or is going to be something we just laugh about like Swine Flu?”
– A girl from Mobile, Alabama, was forced to sign a contract with her school saying she would not commit suicide or homicide. The contract stemmed from when the girl drew a picture of a gun and then pointed a crayon at a fellow student.
The girl’s mother said the school made her daughter take a survey on suicide. The girl did not even know what the word “suicide” meant.
“I don’t think 5-year-olds grasp the concept of suicide,” Callahan said.
“No, but they all have guns in Alabama,” replied Dennis.
Said Callahan: “That kid doesn’t have a gun.”
– This weekend’s “Saturday Night Live,” hosted by one of show’s former cast members, Bill Hader, hit a ratings low. Despite appearances by other former cast members including Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg, “SNL” had a 1.8 rating in households with adults aged 18-49 — the lowest-rated episode during its run.
“I’m starting to wonder, it’s kind of like Brady, when does it end for ‘Saturday Night Live?’ ” said Minihane.
Replied Callahan: “To me, it’s like college football. College football needs some personalities, some stars. … With SNL, they need one or two stars that carry the program.”
- Aaron Eriskin on Sizing up the competition
- Tim on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- gibby on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Kevin Miller on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Captain on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Har in Vancouver on DJ Steve Porter ‘Can’t Wait’
- SeamusNH on Happy couple caught in the act
- Lollipop on The Lovely Donna Simpson…Smokin!
- RICK ALLEN on The Red Sox new theme song!
- MARJE on Susanne Eman — Wants to be worlds fattest woman